Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yodermk
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
Going crazy deciding between 5D3 or 6D
Jul 3, 2013

Have a 60D now, but have three high quality lenses that are crying to be used on FF: TS-E 25, Zeiss 50 Makro Planar f2, and 70-200 f/2.8L II.

My photography tends to be landscape, creative/macro, and environment type things.

I know the 6D would be plenty adequate for photography, and I think I could really use the GPS and Wifi.  I travel at least twice a year and its smaller size would be nice.  I suppose my two MF lenses could benefit from the 6D's interchangeable focus screen.  Not to mention the much lower price!

What attracts me to the 5D3: Primarily video quality, and RAW recording with Magic Lantern is what pretty much sold me on it.  Additionally the AF would be nice with the 70-200. And I be the better controls would be nice. And 10% more pixels!

Questions:

How much difference does the viewfinder coverage make - 100% for 5D3 vs 97% for 6D?

Any thoughts on whether the 6D might eventually do most of what the 5D3 does with RAW video?  I guess ML isn't even available on it yet, but hopefully it's coming.  If so, would ML be able to eliminate the moire issues?  If it does work, would the speed of SD cards be a significant limiting factor relative to CF cards?

Money does matter but I want to get a camera I won't regret and will be happy with for years.  I'd be able to get the 6D next month or the 5D3 closer to Christmas (or *maybe* refurbished next month if I can find stuff to sell).

It's also not completely out of the question to say "screw it" and wait for the 5D4, which might have 4K video and some coolness video AF from the 70D sensor.  But they also might pull something to prevent the ML guys from hacking it.  Lots of "might, might, might" and in the mean time I'm stuck with a crop camera.

Thanks for any insight!

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow