How does a 2009 MBP screen compare to New iMac?

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?
Re: iMac for glossy, mini + NEC for matte
In reply to Greg Eddinger, Jul 3, 2013

Greg Eddinger wrote:

Ok, I made the 1 hour trip down to Apple this evening. The 27" is something that would allow me to be more productive on with multiple windows open. Again, I literally only had time for about 2 minutes to get an impression of the 27". That screen was very impressive. Not only is it large, it's very clear and clean. Reflections seems muted compared to my wifes 2008 24" iMac. I went in wanting to confirm that the mini was going to be good enough. I never felt the iMacs were the stuff. After seeing that 27" in person I'm sold, or as Tim Allen would put it,, Arrrh, Arrrh. It really is an actual computer with a very good screen. If I can scape up the cash, it's going to find itself in my home very soon. BTW, I also have to buy 2 MBPs for my twin daughters heading off UCLA and Berkeley so I've got to use my money wisely.

I have a mid 2011 27" iMac with 16G of ram, 2TB HDD, Quad Core i7 @ 3.4 GHz. I love the big clear screen and am exceptionally pleased with the computing performance.

I've occasionally created some time-lapse videos using a Lightroom 4 plugin to process and render 1500+ images and that puts a good load on the machine which it handles beautifully. Normal processing of images in LR4 and the iMac doesn't even break a sweat

Bottom line for me, it's a great machine. 16G of ram is probably excessive unless I'm running multiple virtual machines simultaneously in Parallels, but memory is not too expensive these days (I usually buy it from www.macsales.com  and install myself) so I loaded it up. In years past I ran machines without enough ram and swore I'd never do it again.

Cheers,

Jake

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow