Nikon 17-55 F2.8 or Sigma 18-35 F1.8 ??

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
RichyjV
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?
Re: Nikon 17-55 F2.8 or Sigma 18-35 F1.8 ??
In reply to kcamacho11, Jul 3, 2013

I asked this in the Nikon DSLR forum, but I believe this is the better place to ask.

I need a lens suggestion.

I sold my 18-105 kit lens and the other lens left in my bag is the Nikon 70-300.

I am torn between the Nikon 17-55 F2.8 and the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 as my new walk-around lens which can also serve quite nicely in low light.

I like the Nikon because it is extremely well built, has absolutely great reviews (5 stars in Amazon) and it has extra reach at the long end as well as the short end while still being F2.8 constant.

I like the Sigma because it is F1.8 across the entire focal range and it is cheaper.

The thing is Sigmas have a great rep for not being all that sharp on the edges on most of their lens...Sigmas always fall short when compared for overall sharpness to the competitor's same lens.

Also, I think the Sigma seems like a superb lens, but the 35mm is a bit short for me. Both lens do not have image stabilization....the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 is $799 and I found a factory refurbished Nikon 17-55 F2.8 for $1000.

I am actually leaning more towards the Nikon. Any suggestions???

If you think sigma has a reputation for poor corner sharpness, and being inferior to other brands, then you REALLY haven't been paying attention recently. The reason other posters want the sigma is at least partly because they have been releasing some truly excellent lenses recently that outperform the best equivalents of canon and Nikon. That's not to say that this sigma, which is showing prospects of being both excellent and groundbreaking, especially at its price point, is automatically the answer here however..
--
Regards

Rich

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow