Why are M43 lens release buttons on the wrong side?

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328
Like?
Why are M43 lens release buttons on the wrong side?
Jul 3, 2013

Ok I know that many people will think they are on the 'right' side but please bear with me. Pick up your camera - it is designed to be held 'one-handed' by the 'right' hand. There is far more space on that side of the camera and probably a grip.

Now look at the lens release. It is on the opposite side of the camera. You can only press it with your left hand. And if one hand is holding the camera and one hand is pressing the lens release then you are short of a hand to take out the lens.

So how do you change lenses? Well I tend to rather precariously hold the camera on the short side with my left hand so I can press the release with the left hand also and use my right hand to take off the lens.

I do realize that it is traditional to have the lens release on the 'wrong' side. However I cant help being envious of a couple of manufacturers - Nex and Fuji - who have decided to put their lens release on the right side.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow