Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,554Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+
In reply to Harlz, Jul 3, 2013

+2 for a used 500 f/4.0 MK I

If you really "need" 500 mm it is a very good compromise between price and performance to use a 500 (I)

(tested it and found it to be a tack sharp lens)

I see tons of people praising the results from their zooms and primes and while lots are acceptable, I see also a lack of details and micro contrast in those images (sorry for that).

(comparing web sized JPEGs is also not very helpful to judge the lens quality - even my iPhone images under good lighting conditions look surprisingly stunning at 1024 x 768 pixels after some tweaking and optimization in LightRoom!)

The big white primes from Canon outperform the rest of the offerings by a huge margin. the MK II versions even more (tested the 400 f/2.8 VR on the D800 and found it to be rather mediocre in direct comparison)

So if you are about quality you will probably sooner or later end up at one of them (depending on your goals)

Buying used can be a rather cheap option if you have a trustable source or a photo dealer that you can rely on. Stretch the budget a bit and go for the 500 or 600 f/4.0 I used - it will not disappoint!

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow