How does a 2009 MBP screen compare to New iMac?

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?
Re: iMac for glossy, mini + NEC for matte
In reply to Greg Eddinger, Jul 3, 2013

Greg Eddinger wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

A refurbished NEC 24" EA244 with IPS panel is currently available direct from NEC for $309. See all of NEC's refurbished displays here:

http://www.necdisplay.com/category/desktop-monitors?Refurbished=1

. The X-rite i1 Display Pro ($249) seems to be the way to go these days for cross-brand support.

thanks for the link

If you like glossy displays, the iMac would seem to be a good choice. I prefer matte displays and wouldn't give up my NEC display (PA271) for anything. If I were in your shoes and keeping costs down, I'd go for a Mac mini with i7 and Fusion drive plus 16GB of third-party RAM, the refurbed NEC 24" EA244, and an X-rite i1 Display Pro.

Yes, that's a very cost effective combo

If you've got the scratch and want the best possible display, the NEC sRGB P-series and wide-gamut PA-series displays with add-on NEC Spectraview calibration kit ($300) are great options. Spectraview supports only the P and PA series. I've worked with lots of high-end displays, and in my experience, NEC's P and PA series displays with Spectraview are noticeably better than anything else and very easy to use, much like the dedicated LaCie Blue Eye. Spectraview works only with NEC displays, so if you need to calibrate both NEC and non-NEC displays, the solution is to buy the X-rite kit and the Spectraview software ($100). You can use the X-rite i1 Display Pro hardware with the Spectraview software on P/PA displays and with X-rite's i1 Profile software on other displays.

Very informative. You have saved me quite a bit of research time.

I haven't kept up with much tech wise since my 2009 15" MBP purchase so it's nice to come back here to DPR to updated and educated by people who's opinions I consider well regarded.

Even the the tool bar above is new to me. So now I'm torn between desire and function. I like the ease and clean lines of an all in one iMac but like the old day's with component stereos, a separate computer and monitor makes it easier to repair, upgrade etc. And yes, the idea of having a new NEC is great which leads me to another question. Can the Mac mini run dual monitors?

The NEC EA244 has HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI-D ports. The P and PA series displays have DisplayPort and DVD-D, but no HDMI. The Mac mini has HDMI and Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort ports. So, yes, the mini could drive an EA244 via HDMI and another display via DP/MDP or DVI-D.

Gregory Eddinger
Those that believe they can, CAN, because they BELIEVE!

-- hide signature --

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow