Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,446Gear list
Like?
Re: Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Jul 3, 2013

Tom Caldwell wrote:

The Nikon A is for the less involved user for whom a camera that will require less personalised set up and will be immediately familiar out of the box.

I disagree with the first half of this sentience, but I basically agree with everything else Tom wrote here. The Nikon is easier to get up to speed with right out of the box (unless you're an experienced Ricoh user who's set up a Ricoh or two before, in which case, not much difference there either), but it's not for "the less involved user". As with any camera, it takes time to really learn its key strengths and some of its hidden options. I had both for a while and it took me longer than I like to admit to find and fully figure out how to use the couple of features that really made the difference for me in favor of the Nikon. I was much more familiar with Ricoh's interface going in and somewhat biased that way initially, but the Nikon is ALSO a joy to shoot with, but differently.

But overall I'd say that. If money is no object it's a tougher call than if it is. If it is, the Ricoh is clearly the better value in most parts of the world. If its not, it comes down to personal preference. The colors are different, but I wouldn't say one is better, just different enough for personal preference to come into it if you really prefer one over the other. I initially preferred the Nikon colors, but the Ricoh's grew on me a LOT, until that ultimately became a non-factor in my decision making.

Good luck - there's no right answer here. But more importantly, there's no WRONG answer here. If the two options hadn't appeared at roughly the same time, I'd have bought either that DID show up and would have been ecstatic with it. As is, they're two great options with slightly different tradeoffs, one of which may appeal more to a given user. Or may not, in which case price, at that point, IS the key difference.

Good luck,

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow