Please evaluate photos and be critical!

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aspenz
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
Re: Please evaluate photos and be critical!
In reply to ktownbill, Jul 3, 2013

ktownbill wrote:

#2 photo of the dog is very good !! The reflections (catch-lights) in the dogs eyes adds life to the photo!! Very nice indeed. The lighting and posing of the dog is also good. The way you placed the dog off-center is good technique. The way you rendered the background out of focus saved this shot. Did you do that intentionally?

Yeah all those were intentional. I waited till my dog was staring intently at some people walking by my house. Normally I would not want the further plane of the other eye to be slightly less focussed but I guess it works for a dog.

What is bad? While you are looking at the photo I want you to cover the bright background on the very left edge with your hand. I'm only talking about a sliver of the photo. What did that do for you? It made the dog 'pop' right off the photo. It looked way better did it not? That is called cropping. That very bright section of background draws your eyes away from your subject. Alternatively you could have darkened or cloned that out of the photo with an image editor like Adobe Elements or Lightroom....

-- hide signature --

Bill

Yeah it does seem to make it stand out more. I've been told at times that I tend to include unnecessary amounts of background but I guess it's just a bad habit that sticks.

Aspenz's gear list:Aspenz's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow