Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Archiver
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,254
Like?
Re: Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?
In reply to Troels Oesteraa, Jul 3, 2013

Troels Oesteraa wrote:

But if cost was left out of the equation, would people then choose the A over the GR based on such things as image neutrality, build quality, and LCD screen quality? I don't want this to end with the battle of "Made in China" vs. "Made in Japan", but just objectively speaking.

I notice that the GR has a slightly greenish tint compared to the "A" when comparing in http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr/16 - especially noticeable at the Kodac gray scale chart in the top middle.

On the criteria of image neutrality, build quality and LCD quality, there are a few answers.  Reviews and anecdotal reports suggest that the Nikon has excellent build quality and very good image neutrality out of the box.  LCD quality seems to be about the same, and the GR is excellent in that regard.

If you are okay with processing your own images, even just loading them into Lightroom and doing a batch process, you can take care of any colour bias you want.  I haven't been bothered by any greenish tint, or even noticed.

Where the GR really comes into its own is the handling, ergonomics and user customization.  The GRD III was the best handling compact camera I had ever used, and it absolutely hooked me on Ricoh ergonomics and interface.  As as result, I bought the GXR and immediately felt at home.  Happily, the GR is an even further improvement on those qualities.  The Nikon seems well designed, but I have yet to read anyone rave about its ergonomics and customization like the Ricoh GR/GXR family

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow