Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Questions thread
PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
Re: Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A (if money is no object) ?
In reply to Troels Oesteraa, Jul 3, 2013

Troels Oesteraa wrote:

Hello

I know I'm probably beating a very dead horse, but It's a question I can't answer since I am not able to see either of the cameras in real life and it seems like a lot of comparisons always end up focusing on specs vs. price alone and concludes that the GR is "better".

But if cost was left out of the equation, would people then choose the A over the GR based on such things as image neutrality, build quality, and LCD screen quality? I don't want this to end with the battle of "Made in China" vs. "Made in Japan", but just objectively speaking.

I notice that the GR has a slightly greenish tint compared to the "A" when comparing in http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr/16 - especially noticeable at the Kodac gray scale chart in the top middle.

Some background info: Right now I have a Panasonic ZS7/TZ10 which I'm getting a bit tired of. Overly much compression, and too slow a lens for always shooting at ISO80 or 100. I've also found that I'm not that much of a fan of the amount of green tint it has, or at least how it always emphasizes it. I've found that I don't use zoom that much either.

The Sigma DPxM series has caught my interest since it produces image quality that is just breathtaking and nearly surreal, but everything else about these seem to be a large drawback so it's off the list for now. So this is where I am now.

Thanks for any kind of input.

I got the GR on the last day of May. I liked it first off but shortly I had reservations about how it would work with me. I felt that it was intruding on my vision and process and not supporting it. I've been into Ricoh's since I was in Nam in 1969-70. So I'm used to the certain issues the Ricoh engineers have and don't take meds for.

After a few weeks I was ready to give up and use the Nikon. I just felt that inside the GR was a GRD4 hiding. So I decided to give the camera a month to prove itself. It did and I'm just about settled in with it. I talked with Ray, yes...hes a local friend and he helped me decide on the way to use the camera. There are issues with this GR thing and hopefully in time, it will be worked out in a firmware upgrade. At this point, I don't care anymore...I just want to work.

That is the Ricoh adventure so far. The Nikon is as good if not better. To qualify that, I like the Ricoh interface more than any other camera, bar none. The Nikon has a very masculine way to it vrs the GR which is more feminine. I know this sounds crazy and it probably is but truth is truth.

The Nikon has features that the GR needs upgrading to but probably won't happen. If I were to do it all over, I'd give up on the GR and keep the Nikon. That camera really works the way we want the GR to work.

I know this is like a story but that's the way life is.... a story...

good luck in your quest.

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow