Canon 70D: NOT the camera of the year

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?
Re: Canon 70D: NOT the camera of the year
In reply to Mikhail Tal, Jul 3, 2013

Mikhail Tal wrote:

It has been well documented that OVFs are on the verge of going the way of film, useful only for nostalgia and people who don't care about utility and functionality.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people dismiss optical viewfinders and wonder if their eyes are more magical than mine?

I have yet to see one electronic viewfinder that comes close to the dynamic range and refresh rate (...) of an optical viewfinder. The tiniest nuances under low light are revealed with an optical viewfinder, whereas an electronic one cloak it in a sea of black. Gaining up is also problematic half the time, since often it can gain up too much and lose detail in many situations.

Yes, I love electronic viewfinders too, but for different reasons (flexibility to put anything on the screen, the ability to magnify a section to show what's in focus under good light) but for everything else, I have yet to see one electronic viewfinder come close to capturing the dynamic range of a half-decent (or cheap) optical viewfinder found in commodity hardware.

I have tried various mirrorless cameras and have yet to prefer one electronic viewfinder for the best image of the actual scene. The most recent mirrorless camera I've tried is the Nikon V1.

As far as I'm aware, electronic viewfinders have a lot of growing up to do. So your comment about utility and funtionality rings very true to me, except I would apply that criticism to electronic viewfinders (!).

I guess it depends on what type of shooting you do. Daylight stuff is normally OK with electronic viewfinders. Low-light and fast action stuff is much more preferable to me with an optical viewfinder.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow