Started Jul 3, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
madnina
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Truly versatile compact camera
Jul 3, 2013

A TRUE compact camera: fits into my jeans pocket (and I'm a girl, those things are small). Fantastic image quality thanks to the 1/1.7" sensor which delivers popping colors and performs quite well in low light at wide angle end (F of 2.0). Fast performance (I don't save in RAW though) and excellent quality build; a real pleasure to handle, and I did not find the lack of grip to be a problem at all (though some may dislike it).

Not only does it have all the dials and modes expected from an advanced compact, which are easily accessed from the Q. menu button, but this is a truly fun camera with some great functions (e.g. sweep panorama) as well as excellent video quality. Battery life could be better but using the EVF instead of the large screen gave me around 300 shots.

I guess the EVF is one of the reasons many people will be interested in this camera. It's super useful of course, much moreso than the simple viewfinder you get in Canon G series. Although you do have to press a button to activate it, you can choose between EVF-only mode and a "hybrid" mode in which you take your photos with the EVF, but the playback buttons displays on the large screen.

The control ring is not so useful, I ended up using the dial on the back of the camera to just scroll around to set options. Once you get used to the Panasonic menu structure it's easy and quick to use. I had only ever had Canons before so it took me 2-3 days to adjust.

I tested the camera under bright outdoors, low light outdoors conditions, as well as landscapes, macro, photographing pets, and high contrast lighting situation. HDR came out looking pretty fake unfortunately, so that is one function I will stay away from. It performed well under low light capturing great color at the cost of some noise, however this was not really noticeable unless you look at 100% size.

Great camera, only real downside is the price: I ended getting it because it was the only camera to combine large sensor and above 5x zoom in a truly compact format, with a decent battery life. Overall though I am satisfied, and would recommend this interesting multifunction camera to travellers especially; good battery life, good zoom, popping colors, sweep panorama function, and true compact format make this camera a GREAT travel companion.

madnina's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow