Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Mac accessories
Jul 2, 2013

I have just purchased a new Mac and have been asking a lot of questions. People on this forum have been very helpful and I now have my system running with both Mac and PC software (via Parallels) running very nicely. In fact I have been surprised as to the interconnectivity of the Mac and Windows software. For example, I found I could run Aperture and directly call my (Windows based) PhotoShop CS5 through Parallels as seamlessly as though I had the Mac version of CS5. That was unexpected (although the font size on CS5 is far too small to see with normal human vision).

So next, of course, are the accessories.

Since my MBP has only 2 usb ports I have thought about buying a network drive for Time Machine. Apple makes Time Capsule, Airport Extreme and Airport Express. The best I can figure out from Amazon is that Time Capsule is a wireless hard drive, Airport Extreme provides extra usb ports wirelessly and Airport Express provides a usb port for a printer. Presumably the idea is to connect a usb drive to Airport Extreme and that provides the same functionality as Time Capsule. But how, in any meaningful way, do these setups differ from each other and how do they differ from just buying a NAS drive? Is there anything I would get from Time Capsule over a standard NAS drive connected to my regular router via an ethernet cable?

Also, if I have Time Machine as a backup drive can I also use it as a regular external usb drive for my  house? Or is it dedicated only to backups?

Thanks again.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow