Has Canon solved the PDAF problem?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,200Gear list
Like?
blue_skies - thanks for the explanation.
In reply to blue_skies, Jul 2, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

007peter wrote:  What I'm more interested to hear is how is Sony or Nikon hybrid sensor different. For example, Nikon V1 is very fast while NEX-6 not as fast as Nikon. What are the explanation for the speed differences?

Read this articicle first: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2010/8/5/fujifilmpd

It basically is the same sensor cell architecture that was already present in the X100, but the FW was not up to speed to leverage it.

It does read very much like Canon system.  The major difference appear that canon has a surface micro bubble that split the light to each 2 subpixel and that its pdaf sensor is spread across its entire surface, but principle is the same as the Fuji link you provide.

Funny thing is Fuji AF seem rather slow to me.

The Sony system is a very different approach, and - reading the patent - should have more flexibility and have more sensitivity Sony's sensing cells are larger (not single cell based), and masking them out requires some additional FW. .....

My bet would be on Sony coming out with better FW to push the performance of their PDAF implementation. The rumors that the SLT is going to lose the pellicle mirror is an indication of this.

I was worrying about Sony abandoning SLT technology.  But after reading about Canon 70d's dual AF sensor, I have more faith in Sony new direction now.  How ironic!

Whatever happen, PDAF in Mirrorless Camera seem to be the future.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow