70D split pixel sensor technology: Compromised IQ for the sake of AF?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
migus
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Like?
70D split pixel sensor technology: Compromised IQ for the sake of AF?
Jul 2, 2013

Is actually half of the sensor's effective (light gathering) real estate given away to AF...?

Does anybody here know the details on 70D sensor's pixels, ulens design and the readout circuitry? Also the fab feature size of the sensor is not mentioned anywhere.

Irrespective, I argue that for any given feature size --say from 45 to 8um (here Canon lagging few generations behind Sony, not to mention Intel)-- the decision to split the sensel area 1:1 in favor of phase AF is questionable.

Relegating 1/2 of the sensor 'just' to AF may help some sports photogs and video apps (that don't rely on manual pull)...

But then where's the 4k video mode (4k 50" screens under $999 already sell on Amazon http://gizmodo.com/wow-a-4k-tv-for-1080-is-simply-bonkers-513578198), where's the high bit-rate and RAW recording stream socket, multiple FPS options, XLR mike, dual card and SSD, etc. for serious video?

Call me a purist, yet I care more about IQ, DR, color and noise than dynamic AF... Hence i count the effective (image, not phase, detector) pixel size, ulens design, A/D converters and readouts. Surely the final IQ could be improved by Digic PPS to please the pixel peeper amongst us, yet the engine fundamentals haven't changed. And it seems that Canon 70D just gave half of its engine's cubic centimeters to the windshield whiper motor... If true, that's a step backward in my books. Mitch

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow