Olympus OMD EM-5 body + the 45mm as my only lens (is it possible?)

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Questions thread
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OMD EM-5 body + the 45mm as my only lens (is it possible?)
In reply to ywamer, 9 months ago

Personally, I think I'd be much happier on that budget by simply getting a less expensive body with the same sensor (EPM2 or E-PL5) and adding at least something wide angle.  My 14mm Pany was  less than $200 on EBay.  I found my Oly 40-150 for $99 new during a sale.  The tons of fun Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm fish eye can be found for less than $250.  I like the 45mm a lot; it is a great lens.  But for family events, I usually find myself wanting something wider and I end up switching to the Pany 20mm most of the time.

On a tight budget, I'd probably grab a G5 or even GX1 with the EVF since I like using the EVF rather than going with an Oly, although the cheaper Oly EVF would at least suffice to give you something more useful in bright light than the LCD.  The GX1 is really my favorite body to use, but it would be nice if it had the Sony sensor that is in the newer Oly bodies.

FYI, lots of great deals on refurbs of both bodies and lenses.  My "bad weather" camera is an EPM1 I got as a refurb for $129.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow