Has Canon solved the PDAF problem?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,171Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes .. read on - Canon is merely Fujifilm's masking cell technology...
In reply to 007peter, Jul 2, 2013

007peter wrote:

bill hansen wrote:

I notice the new Canon 70D claims to have on-sensor phase detection focusing ability, which (OSPDAF) has been the topic of several discussions in the NEX forum. Do any of the technologically advanced people here know if Canon's pixel-splitting approach is likely to resolve the PDAF "problem"?

I would say "yes" based on reading DPR's indepth explanation that canon's hybrid system cover the entire sensor rather than a tiny amount located near the center.

What I'm more interested to hear is how is Sony or Nikon hybrid sensor different. For example, Nikon V1 is very fast while NEX-6 not as fast as Nikon. What are the explanation for the speed differences?

Read this articicle first: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2010/8/5/fujifilmpd

It basically is the same sensor cell architecture that was already present in the X100, but the FW was not up to speed to leverage it.

Now in the X100S they have 'better' PDAF based focusing - but users still complain a lot.

The Canon system appears to be an identical copy of Fujifilm's solution.

The Sony system is a very different approach, and - reading the patent - should have more flexibility and have more sensitivity  Sony's sensing cells are larger (not single cell based), and masking them out requires some additional FW. Which system is 'better' imho does not depend on the sensing cells as much as it does on the processing FW. Sony's information seems a lot more precise than Fujifilms, but heuristics in software (in both) can make either system work, I assume.

My bet would be on Sony coming out with better FW to push the performance of their PDAF implementation. The rumors that the SLT is going to lose the pellicle mirror is an indication of this.

Also, if the rumors are true, the Sony technology will surpass DLSR technology - in fairness, the PDAF focusing system is as much as being able to detect phase shift as it is to decipher which focus point is the key one. On cell PDAF sensing produces a far greater sensing grid than dedicated PDAF sensors, but apparently also requires greater processor performance. This seems also true for Fujifilm (and Canon), in that the PDAF solution is not 'mature' yet.

I expect that next year we will have a lot of buzz about mirrorless PDAF based cameras. I assume that a FF Nex camera will very much depend on this technology reaching a level of maturity. (= match DSLR performance, both in speed and focus accuracy).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow