Recommend me an affordable light meter.

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,889Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommend me an affordable light meter.
In reply to photogizmo, Jul 2, 2013

Bringing the conversation back to the OP:

Sekonic is a little pricey for their 308s so are there other alternatives of similar quality??

There are. My earlier post mentions several.

What are the pros and cons between a digital and analogue light meter?

Ease of use. Like roll-down vs power windows. IMO digital readouts are easier to read. Most digital meters can be set to show 1/3 or 1/10th f-stops

Also does a person really need a light meter these days now that we have Digital technology?

IMO, Yes. You can use the camera's histogram to read exposure, if you know how, but I think learning to use a meter is easier than learning to use histograms to correct exposure. A meter will let you balance areas receiving different amounts of light. If you use flash indoors a good flash meter makes studio setup much simpler.You can also use your meter to set main vs fill ratios for portraiture

If you use flash and available light a good meter lets you set ratios so one doe snot overwhelm the other.

There is no such thing as an accurate meter BTW. What you want is a reliable meter. A meter should give the same reading in the same setting over and over and if the light falls by half a good meter should show a change of one f/stop. Placing three meters side-by-side will not necessarily show the exact same reading but each meter should be able to show the same results time after time.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow