Interesting find - the 'father' of global warming recants!

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,125Gear list
Like?
Re: Ice
In reply to boggis the cat, Jul 2, 2013

boggis the cat wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

"Hans von Storch (born 13 August 1949 in Wyk auf Föhr, Schleswig-Holstein) is a German climate scientist. He is a Professor at the Meteorological Institute of the University of Hamburg, and (since 2001) Director of the Institute for Coastal Research at the Helmholtz Research Centre (previously: GKSS Research Center) in Geesthacht, Germany. He is a member of the advisory boards of the journals Journal of Climate and Annals of Geophysics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_von_Storch

From interview with Spiegel magazine:

"So far, no one has been able to provide a compelling answer to why climate change seems to be taking a break. We're facing a puzzle. Recent CO emissions have actually risen even more steeply than we feared. As a result, according to most climate models, we should have seen temperatures rise by around 0.25 degrees Celsius (0.45 degrees Fahrenheit) over the past 10 years. That hasn't happened. In fact, the increase over the last 15 years was just 0.06 degrees Celsius (0.11 degrees Fahrenheit) -- a value very close to zero. This is a serious scientific problem that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) will have to confront when it presents its next Assessment Report late next year."

Oh, I can help you out there.

Get yourself a cold glass of water and put it in a warm environment, then put some ice in it. Check the temperature and you'll find that it mysteriously stabilises...

It will? Really?

Mind if I ask how did you you come to that conclusion?

Suppose, the air is 20C, the water is 12C, the ice is -4C.

Say, there's 20g of ice and 250g of water. Let's ignore the glass.

At what temperature point will the

water stabilize? 0C? 11C? 12C?

(My humble opinion is 20C, but what do I know?)

So please, help me out here. You promised!

It isn't a physics problem -- it is a problem of too narrow a focus (which is ironic here).

Well, in general, when you use a physical experiment to illustrate a point, it helps to pick one that works.

You said "Get yourself a cold glass of water and put it in a warm environment, then put some ice in it."

It works fine.

If by "works fine" you mean "does exactly the opposite of what I said it does", then yes.

You said "Check the temperature and you'll find that it mysteriously stabilises".  This does not happen.  Adding ice into the water actually prevents the temperature from stabilizing.

I think I've had enough of this discussion.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GaiaNew
Yup.New
IceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow