I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
David Banner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,317
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
In reply to bryanbrun, Jul 2, 2013

Do you realize the crop factor penalty of 2x (or bonus depending on how you look at it) of the Nikon 1 sensor?

Your Sigma 30mm 1.4 turns into a 90mm, which can be a good thing if you have enough range, but that lens and any 50mm becomes MUCH harder to use indoors on Nikon 1. IMO, this is a major weakness of the Nikon 1 brand.
The m4/3 crop factor is 1.5 which means adapted lens are more useable in a variety of shooting situations.
Nikon can certainly improve the Nikon 1 sensor in the future, but certain basic laws of physics cannot be altered. The crop factor penalty and the inability to produce background blur (using the kits lens) are inherent weaknesses of the Nikon 1 brand which will never go away.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

My 30 1.4 has a 35mm equiv of 45mm (crop factor 1.5).  The Nikon 1 has 2.7 crop factor, so that 30 would be 35mm equiv of 81mm.  To get 81mm on my nikon would use a 54mm lens (81/1.5). So the 30 1.4 on the J1 would be equivalent to a 54mm on my Nikon.  Which is very good for portraits.  And that's why I'd get the equivalent of my 30 1.4 for the J1 (18.5mm) or MFT (20mm).  And the 85 1.4 would be like a 153mm on my D300, which is a bit long but good for headshots and sporting events.  So yes I've considered that a lot.  THe 50-150 2.8 becomes very useful for sports.

The alternative with MFT is that I can't use those lenses at all.  Ok with manual focus but I doubt I'd do that.

I agree about sensor size though and wrote Nikon 1 off when I first read about it for that reason. The only reason I'm even considering Nikon 1 is because it's smaller, lighter, cheaper, and lets me use my Nikon lenses.  For someone without Nikon lenses I'd agree the MFT is the way to go.  Why Nikon went with 2.7 crop I don't know.  Seems silly.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow