I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,061Gear list
Some things to consider
In reply to David Banner, Jul 2, 2013

David Banner wrote:

I'd like to get a camera such as the GX1 and a 50mm equivalent prime such as the 20mm f1.7 and a super zoom like the 14-140. I think these two lenses would cover my travel needs and allow me to travel light.

I'm not familiar with 4/3 models but here is what I see:

Panasonic GX1 - I definitely want a very small camera, I don't need a viewfinder

Panasonic 20 1.7 - This is $400. Why so expensive? Any better alternatives?

Panasonic 14-140 - Walkaround zoom is $680.

Thanks!

Haven't read every post, so some of this might be redundant. But here are some considerations:

N1 will use your existing lenses W adapter and still AF

m43 can use your existing lenses, but MF and manual aperture only.

m43 has more native lenses available, can also use 4/3 lenses w adapter but not all the bigger lenses focus as well as the native lenses.

Olympus bodies will be able to use IBIS on any adapted lens.

Only the latest generation Olympus (E-M5, E-PL5, E-P5, E-PM2) have the newest Sony sensor. Of those the PM2 is the smallest, the E-M5 has a built in VF, the P5 has improved IBIS and can be controlled from a smart phone.

size wise, I don't see a lot of difference between the mirrorless Nikons and PENs... even lenses don't show a significant size differenced  http://camerasize.com/

The 20/1.7 goes for around $300 used

Other near normal options:

14/2.5 tiny, inexpensive

17/2.8 small, reasonably priced

17/1.8 about twice the size of the f2.8, snap focus ring w distance scale

19/2.8 Sigma bargain priced but not particularly small.

25/1.4  not cheap or small, but sharp and bright

30/2.8 Sigma reasonably small, inexpensive

If you want a single lens solution, look at the Olympus 14-150... same size as the 40-150, but heavier, but you'll still get better results w a two lens solution.

The Panny 14-45 is said by some to be a bit sharper than other kit zooms, the Olympus 12-50 may not be the sharpest (or smallest) but has a nice range and macro function for added versatility.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow