Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Golfshot
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
The User Guide
9 months ago

I have owned several cameras over the last few years, (I am talking about digital cameras).

I started with a little 5MP compact from Konica Minolta (Dimage X50).  I then upgraded to a 10MP Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD bridge camera - a wonderful camera for the money.  I had a bit of dosh come in so I decided to upgrade again to a bigger and better DSLR, a 16MP Sony Alpha SLT A57 which is fantastic.  I still have all of these cameras and still use them and each one of them came packaged with the User Manual.  I don't mean the "Quick Start Guide" which you get as well, I mean the full, pucker manual.  This is besides the same manual which is provided as a pdf on the CD-ROM that also came packaged with each camera.

Each of these hard copy guides are small enough to pack in the camera bag or your back pocket when you are "out in the field" and at the point where just getting to grips with the camera and have the need of the manual to help you through.

In recent weeks, I have been experimenting with high speed photography and was successful in winning a auction for a Casio Exilim EX-FH100.

I paid nearly £300 for this second-hand camera.  I am told that it cost a hell of a lot more when it was brand new and even now some places are selling them for up to and over $1000!  So I was very lucky to get this camera which is in excellent condition for such a comparably low price.

I have to say, that I am very disappointed in the fact that Casio do not provide a User Guide in the same manner as the other manufacturers, (i.e. KM, Fuji and Sony).  OK, they provide the pdf file but you can't go printing off 202 pages, especially with the cost of print cartridges being what they are!

I read somewhere that Casio are prepared to supply the User Guides for their cameras at extra cost, so I rang them up at Casio UK and they stated that they "had the item in stock" and it would cost me £5.00.  I didn't baulk at the cost even though I really thought that with the original cost of the camera it should have been provided free with it.  I paid by card and ordered it.

About a week later, I received a brownish A4 envelope.  The contents were to say the very least, disappointing.  All Casio had done was photocopy the actual manual, (which would measure in the region of 12cm x 12cm which is about the size of the box that the camera came in).  it is 4 pages to each side and printed back to back, so 8 pages per A4 sheet.  But it wasn't printed so that you could guillotine it and bind it properly - it is printed very haphazardly.  All this is stapled together with 2 staples and shoved in an envelope with an invoice and a questionnaire.

I am no better off than I was before.  It won't fit in either my camera bag or my back pocket and it is so poorly printed, it is difficult to read.  It wouldn't have been perfect, but they could have made an effort to print it back to back on A5.  At least then I could have bound it smaller.

Come on Casio, surely you can do better than this!  You are not even keeping up with the other guys, (KM, Fuji and Sony) and they are charging a lot less for their cameras and equipment.

Does anyone know of a decent third party "field guide" that has been published for the EX-FH100?

I have a great one for the Sony by David Busch - I just need something on similar lines for this camera.

Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD Pentax K-m (K2000) Pentax X-5 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow