I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
bryanbrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 567
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
In reply to David Banner, Jul 2, 2013

David Banner wrote:

FT-1 adapter is big, and so are the lenses that attach to it. If you want a small camera, you negate much of it with this, in my opinion.

True, but I wouldn't take those on a day trip or traveling. One use of FT1 would be to use my Sigma 50-150 2.8 lens for equestrian competitions. That would be nice. I used a friend's 100-300 IS (Canon) and it was nice to have more zoom. That's a nice advantage of the Nikon 1 system. Also it'd be nice to use the sigma 30 1.4 and nikon 85 1.4 for example if I want to do HD video (dance recital).

Do you realize the crop factor penalty of 2x (or bonus depending on how you look at it) of the Nikon 1 sensor?
Your Sigma 30mm 1.4 turns into a 90mm, which can be a good thing if you have enough range, but that lens and any 50mm becomes MUCH harder to use indoors on Nikon 1.  IMO, this is a major weakness of the Nikon 1 brand.
The m4/3 crop factor is 1.5 which means adapted lens are more useable in a variety of shooting situations.
Nikon can certainly improve the Nikon 1 sensor in the future, but certain basic laws of physics cannot be altered.  The crop factor penalty and the inability to produce background blur (using the kits lens) are inherent weaknesses of the Nikon 1 brand which will never go away.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow