How satisfied are you with your E-M5?

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,388Gear list
Like?
Now I understand: you had the Canon 300D before this.
In reply to Loga, Jul 2, 2013

Nothing I have seen after the 300D could beat the 300D at base ISO in terms of clean detailed pictures devoid of noise. When I eventually "upgraded" to the 450D I was disappointed about the noise at base ISO. All newer cameras seem to sacrifice the best possible image quality at base ISO for better high-ISO performance. The 300D was mediocre at ISO 400, just passable at 800 and pretty noisy at 1600 (and that was the upper limit)...

I am pretty happy with the E-M5, compared to the Canon 450D I had before that. But again, at base ISO the images are not as clean as they were on the 300D. On the other hand, ISO400 on the E-M5 is very good, 800 pretty good, 1600 certainly passable and even 3200 is somewhat usable. (Everything above that is just underexposed ISO3200.)

What I still don't understand is the "cartoon like" nature of the images (not using any art filters). The Canon 300D was so clean at base ISO that images would have a tendency to look painted, with very smooth surfaces and clean blue (or grey) sky. All later cameras I had have that bit of "grain" that makes images distinct from cartoons. The two pictures shown have skin tones with a bit of grain that make them not look cartoon-like.

I'm afraid that if you want that clean look that came with the large pixels of the 300D the only options are either another 300D or a 10D and if you want that clean look with more than 6MP you can try to find an old full frame Canon 5D (the original mark I). Anything newer has sacrificed clean base iso images for more pixels and higher iso.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow