How does a 2009 MBP screen compare to New iMac?

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,739
Like?
Re: How does a 2009 MBP screen compare to New iMac?
In reply to Basalite, Jul 2, 2013

Basalite wrote:

Greg Eddinger wrote:

Basalite wrote:

What does iOS 7 have to do with your decision on a Mac?

Until today (after I posted) I didn't know that you could upgrade the iMac from IOS5 to IOS7. Now that I do I'm confident the iMac will be faster than the mini and now it's just a matter of how much am I willing to spend to get what I need?

iOS is Apple's mobile operating system. OS X is Apple's Mac operating system. The mini and the iMac both use OS X.

iOS (iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad) versions are numbers.  iOS 6 is current.  iOS 7 is the announced-but-not-shipping version.

Mac OS X versions have had associated "big cat" names:  10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), and 10.8 (Mountain Lion).  Apple seems to have run out of big cat names.  Instead of going with 10.9 (House Cat - ".9 for 9 lives"), they went with 10.9 (Mavericks) (UGH!) for the announced-but-not-shipping version.

It is quite likely that at the source code level, many components are shared by Mac OS X and iOS.  But they are not binary-compatible.  Mac OS X is tailored for desktop computers that have keyboards, mice, large screens, lots of RAM, and lots of storage.  iOS is tailored for mobile devices that have no keyboards, no mice, small touch screens, small amounts of RAM, and small amounts of storage.  (And of course there is the CPU instruction set difference.)

If you are talking about upgrading a Mac from Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) to Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), that might be a bit hard, mainly because Apple has stopped selling Lion.  But if the machine meets the requirements to run Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), you could upgrade to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) (using the boxed kit available from Apple) and then to 10.8 (by electronic purchase from the Mac App Store).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow