Some images from Botswana (1)

Started Jul 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pixelpower
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
Re: Some images from Botswana (info)
In reply to 2esetters, Jul 2, 2013

2esetters wrote:

Thanks, I'm impressed with those hand-held shots. Of course the IQ is probably 75% skill and 25% equipment, the gear does look like all I need for my hobbiest pursuits and budget. Would you buy the 400 5.6 again or prefer the 100-400?
Don

Hey Don,

To be honest I don't get why people need monopods etc for wildlife shots in broad daylight. At 400mm you need 1/400s. If I don't get the needed shutter speed I crank my ISO. And I always shoot RAW, and in bursts. That's it.

The shots of the cubs, for example, are taken at least one hour after sunset, at ISO 4000 and 5000. But there's no way you can see that. Not on these small images for web. But not even on my iMac 27" at home.

I had the 100-400 for a while, as a loaner. But at full tele it's a bit soft. Given the choice, I'd go for the 400mm again. But it's true there's a trade-off; sometimes the animal is a bit too close for optimal framing.

Actually... given the choice, I'd probably go for one of those 200-400 F4 lenses.

-- hide signature --

Ciao,
J.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow