Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Re: Wrong and misleading IMO
In reply to Landscapephoto99, Jul 2, 2013

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

REShultz wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

REShultz wrote:

Beach Bum wrote:

The strangest thing to me is that these comments are getting thumbs up on a micro four-thirds forum, and virtually no one is even countering it. Shame. I mean it. It really is a shame.

The truth is that micro four-thirds cameras have 1.8x the sensor area of the Nikon 1. This alone makes Nikon 1 uncompetitive.

Wrong. The OP mentioned older generation M43 cameras and when compared, the two are virtually a wash. Please take a look at the GX1 (mentioned) vs the V1 on DXO to measure competitiveness.

But this is irrelevant. m43 looks better than FF when compared to older sensors too. The point is to compare the present IQ of each. When that is done, the result is clear:

FF is to m43 as m43 is to Nikon 1.

So the needs and expressed intent of the OP are irrelevant... ok, got it!

So, why is that silly comparison between older m43 sensors and new Nikon 1 sensors relevant to the needs of the OP?

The point is not to draw false equivalences between one system and the other.

For image quality: FF > m43 > Nikon 1

For portability: Nikon 1 > m43 > FF

The problem is that with technological changes, the differences between these systems in terms of sensor quality will diminish to irrelevance with time. That is when things like Olympus' great IBIS or superb Zuiko / Panaleica glass or Nikon 1's rapid shooting will make the difference.

I honestly think that FF will slowly disappear or become a specialized format with time.

Funny, that's the way I feel about the Nikon 1.

But the truth is, the differences will never diminish or disappear. When Nikon 1 sensors improve, MFT sensors will improve by the same percentage. But MFT will always have the 0.85 stop advantage that comes from the larger sensor size.

Given the fact that sensors are already approaching their theoretical limits as far as efficiency, the difference will likely always be large between MFT and Nikon 1, if Nikon 1 even withstands the test of time.

IMO, the MFT standard is really the perfect balance between quality and portability. The Nikon 1 sensor is just a little too small for a system camera.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow