Sunny 16 rule ... not optimal at 16?

Started Jul 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,402Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunny 16 rule ... not optimal at 16?
In reply to adymitruk, Jul 1, 2013

adymitruk wrote:

Was just trying out the sunny 16 rule with the kit lens on the NEX 7. It was mid-day and no clouds. So ISO 100 with 1/100 sec exposure and aperture of 16 was used. I'm concerned that I'm way too closed down f16. What would be the exposure if I was to use f8 or f11 instead.

I'm also concerned that I'm losing detail at f16 due to defraction. How do you adjust the sunny 16 rule so that you can keep the aperture you want? Each f stop up you 1/2 the exposure time?

Also, I guess the sunny 16 rule is a rough estimate and needs to be adjusted for the time of year and your latitude on earth among other things...

Any help is appreciated. I love having total control via manual mode and would love it if I could get he perfect exposure for a series of shots. Bracketing at +-1 EV is what I've done just in case at times..

SLQGuy did a good job of explaining it.  It's the "Sunny 16" rule because f/16 is what works the equation (at f/16, shutter speed = 1/ISO on a sunny day)

But it doesn't imply that you should use f/16, only that you can extrapolate from there.  If you choose f/8 it's a two stop increase so your shutter speed needs to decrease by two stops (1/400).  Likewise f/5.6 is three stops, etc.

Experiment on a sunny day - it costs you nothing with digital.  Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow