Started Jul 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ilikesnowflakes
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Canon Irvine Service Center screwing with my Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Jul 1, 2013

I just wanted to share my repair story of my Canon EOS 5D Mark III with the Canon Irvine Service Center with the world. Here is the whole story.

It all started with my camera underexposing my photos and the sensor getting very very dusty very quick (compared to my Canon EOS 7D which I've had for 2 years and never had any of these issues). Pretty much my meter was off, and the self sensor cleaning unit was obviously malfunctioning because no dust was getting shook off. Only had the camera for about 4-5 month and the sensor got really really dirty and I can tell the self cleaning unit did not shake anything off (the one on my Canon EOS 7D never had this issue, never once did I have to get the sensor cleaned). I sent it into Canon's Irvine Service Center in Irvine, CA for repair. They adjusted the meter electronically and told me that they also adjusted my self cleaning sensor unit. In that repair, they have also cleaned the sensor for me. When I got it back, I noticed that they left plenty of residue and dust on my sensor, and that the self cleaning sensor unit did not do anything to what they left on my sensor.

I contacted Canon's customer support and they offered me a shipping label to get it back to the factory to get the problems fixed. They "cleaned" my sensor and checked all the other functions. When I got my camera back, not only was my sensor dirtier with the old dust/residue still on there, they also introduced new dust/residue to the sensor (I have before and after test shots I did at home). You know what else? They also left several deep scratches across the back of my camera, and on the side on the memory card slot door! It is obvious that the technician who repaired my camera was being very careless!

Contacted Canon customer support again. The supervisor says he promises that he will request the service center to assign my camera a "senior" technician and a more thorough quality control check be performed after the repairs. I felt slightly more reassured so I just sent it back today with a 2nd shipping label they just gave me.

Very unhappy with the repairs I have gotten so far. Just wanted everyone here in this community to know about this.

ilikesnowflakes's gear list:ilikesnowflakes's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow