One thing I miss about my DSLR

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Late to the thread, but my cents or pence...
In reply to mike winslow, Jul 1, 2013

All of mine were with OSS on, and regular AF-S single shot mode.  With this type of panning, tracking AF is rarely needed - most of the time when you want implied motion blur, you're tracking a subject mostly from side to side, so the focus stays relatively the same distance to the camera - that's why focus has essentially been a non-issue for me with these types of shots.  If I pan with a subject moving across the frame at 40MPH, all I need to do is keep my pan at the same speed as the moving target, giving the camera oodles of time to acquire focus in single AF mode and lock, then I fire.  I may release focus and reacquire several times during the pan, to readjust for slight differences as the subject heads past, slightly changing the focal distance.

So far, OSS in the NEX lenses or sensor-based stabilization on my DSLR has never had to be turned off, and has never interfered with the pan.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow