How satisfied are you with your E-M5?

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Questions thread
ksgant
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
First, Image quality doesn't suffer at all...
In reply to apennh, Jul 1, 2013

In my experience, I've seen no noticeable difference between the OM-D and my 5DMkII. I know, it's heresy to say that in some places, but I can't tell the difference.

The prime lenses for the Olympus M4/3 are razor sharp...I mean RAZOR sharp. I couldn't believe the quality of the 45mm f/1.8. It was amazing. When I got it, I was a little put off by the feeling of the lens as it felt like a plastic toy. But the images from that thing...wow.

I honestly didn't keep the OM-D, but not because of it's image quality. I just couldn't get used to the controls. They didn't fall under my fingers like I wanted it to. The back control wheel just didn't fall under my thumb and I had to awkwardly move my hand up to change it around. It looks like Olympus had "fixed" that with the Pen P5 though. Also, and I totally admit that this is a failing with me personally, but sometimes I didn't remember all the custom things I had set on the camera...since you can nearly change EVERYTHING on the camera to make it fit what you want. I'm getting old I guess, but I sometimes forgot what I changed this dial or button to do.

But seriously, people need to get away from "But...this is a full size sensor, so obviously it has to be better!". In my experience, that hasn't been the case. I'd stack up the shots I got out of the OM-D with anything I got out of my 5DMkII any day. And the focusing just blew away the 5D. I liked how I could just point to the touch screen and WHAM, an in-focus, stabilized, incredibly sharp image came out.

At the moment I'm struggling with the Fujifilm X100s. I bought into the hype of it and I'm simply not seeing it. It's nice, it's quality. It takes nice images if you massage them a bit in post-production. But the autofocus isn't anywhere near as fast or accurate as the OM-D. Again, in my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow