I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
bryanbrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
In reply to David Banner, Jul 1, 2013

David Banner wrote:

All together this adds up to be about $1200. I'm comparing this with something similar from the Nikon 1 system which is a lot cheaper. for the same price I can have a 10-30 kit lens and the FT1 adapter which would allow me to use my Nikon cameras. I don't know if this is possible with 4/3. So I'm leaning a bit towards the Nikon 1 but I'm still researching it and I'd love to get some feedback from the 4/3 crowd.

Thanks!

You should consider a E-PM2 ($400) and a Sigma 30mm 2.8 ($200).

The E-PM2 sensor when combined with IBIS puts this combination into a whole other league when shooting low light photos with non stabilized primes.  The GX1 and the Nikon 1 simply cannot compete.  The Nikon 1 primes are not stabilized. 
Prior to the latest Sony Sensor in the E-PM2, E-PL5 and E-M5, the Nikon 1 and the 18.5 1.8 could compete on somewhat of an even playing field with the m4/3, but the Sony Sensor's dynamic range and detail for cropping have destroyed the Nikon 1 position.

The Nikon 1 when used with the kits lens cannot produce background blur (unless you position your lens inches away from the subject).  The sensor is too small.  With m4/3 kit, and a kit lens you always have the option of getting some background blur on head and shoulder shots.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow