What does the 85mm f1.8 offer apart from portraits?

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,614Gear list
Like?
Re: What does the 85mm f1.8 offer apart from portraits?
In reply to tamasine, Jul 1, 2013

tamasine wrote:

Thank you all again.

I'm really surprised (in a good way) at the versatility of the 85mm - the pics posted are so diverse and fantastic. I love the panorama, the lighthouse pics, and the first dog pic in particular, but all are great (and of course the wonderful Arizona one).

I was at a nice location yesterday trying to get a pic of a small lake and stately home, with bushes around it. My 18-35 was just too wide; so was the 50mm. I had to use the 70-300 in the end. The other lens I brought (sorry - I didn't mention it before) was the 60mm f2.8D macro which I bought a while ago but din't use that much.

I think an 85mm would have been just the right lens to take (in this situation). I am left with the feeling though that a really good zoom on the D600 might have solved the problem. I went into a camera store and had a look at the 24-85 VR and the 24-70 f2.8. I'm in two minds whether to get an 85mm or just wait until Nikon brings out a successor to the 24-70, this time with VR?

On a hot summer's day I was kind of fed up of carry all these lenses, changing them all the time, and maybe wished I had just brought one and forced myself to use it (or had the 24-70 and nothing else!).

I wish the 24-70 2.8 was on my "dilemma" list. It's very expensive and I'm not currently considering it. A new motorcycle comes first! But you're describing two very different situations.

Ultimately, the 85 1.8G may be Nikon's finest lens for sharpness/resolution/bokeh etc. Of course DOF can't be your goal here. It is very affordable and produces superb+++ images. The 24-70 is very expensive and produces excellent images too.

The 24-70 would be a fantastic all around lens and certainly heads above most everything else around it. You would probably never feel that you were missing any image quality.

But I feel that the 85mm 1.8 G is just a bit better in it's place. Also consider that 85mm and 70mm are very different focal lengths.

In the end, you need both those lenses!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow