LR 4.4 vs Iridient - X-Trans RAW processing - I'm a believer! Locked

Started Jul 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Activatedfx
Contributing MemberPosts: 820
LR 4.4 vs Iridient - X-Trans RAW processing - I'm a believer!
Jul 1, 2013

I was a skeptic but now I'm a believer. Iridient X-Trans RAW processing is incredible when compared to LR 4.4.!

Same image, taken with an X-E1 and 35mm 1.4 at ISO 200, f/1.4.

1st pair is at "Default" settings for both programs (ie: NO adjustments). 2nd pair is 100% crop at Default settings. 3rd pair is processed "to taste" in LR 4.4 with IDENTICAL settings (PSD saved from Iridient imported into LR). 4th pair is 100% crop of processed image.

My conclusion: The Iridient image has more DR, richer colors, more detail in the sky, and a noticeably SHARPER image with no halos or artifacts. To my eye, it doesn't look "sharpened" at all. In particular, look at the detail in the background of the road sign at 100%. The pattern is much more distinct in the Iridient image. And it's not because of more contrast, I believe it's actual pixel-level detail and sharpness. Look at the metal fastener below the sign... so much more detail is pulled from the file. The little pieces of tape sticking out of the pole look more "3D"...

I wish Iridient was a little easier to work with, and I do enjoy the LR interface and cataloging, but I will definitely use Iridient to "pre-process" when I want the most detail and DR.

Lightroom 4.4 (Mac) on the LEFT. Iridient Developer 2.1.1 on RIGHT.

Default import settings. NO adjustments. LR 4.4 on LEFT, Iridient 2.1.1 on RIGHT.

100% crop at Default settings. LR 4.4 on LEFT, Iridient 2.1.1 on RIGHT.

Processed IDENTICALLY in LR 4.4. LR 4.4 on LEFT, Iridient 2.1.1 on RIGHT.

100% crop of processed images. LR 4.4 on LEFT, Iridient 2.1.1 on RIGHT.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow