I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Aspenz
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
In reply to David Banner, Jul 1, 2013

As a user of the V1, I can safely say that you're better off with a 1 system camera. I'd dissect the scenario for you (assuming your alternative is the GX1):

Image quality of the V1 is superb, I'd dare say at most 10% behind that of DSLRs. The point to remember is to shoot in RAW because V1's raw files are very tweakable and expandable. Frankly, I think the image quality of the 1 series should be better than those from the micro4/3 sans the likes of OMD5/EPL5. Its dynamic range is actually significantly better than most of the m4/3 cameras, in the case of the GX1, the V1 is 8.42 vs 7.25 on high quality DR. ISO performance is shown to be about the same for the GX1 and V1 (as again found on imaging-resource) which is alright.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/GX1/Z00160_ACRauto_Step_2.png

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NIKONV1/Z0100NR0_ACRauto_Step_2.png

You speak of the 20 f1.7, the counterpart of the V1 is the 18.5 f1.8 offering around the same field of view and depth and it's very sharp even wide open, at about slightly less than $200.

Coming off the DSLRs I'd say the 1 system has the closest match in terms of spot-on focus and blazing focus speed. It's possibly the only mirrorless system that tracks continuous motion well, here's a photo of a very fast and erratic bird that I had trouble even getting it into the viewfinder; the multi-area continuous focus managed to catch it in the fleeting moment it was on screen.

The lenses are also very light and you'd be able to carry its native lenses and then some with no problem at all.

This is by no means trying to diss the m4/3 cameras, but I just feel the need to clear any misconceptions from people that have not tried the 1 system cameras. *Btw the only reason I'm in this part of the forums is because of the 'top threads' thing cropping up, I've no intention of being an ass, in fact, I do think the m4/3 system has a lot going for it as well*

Aspenz's gear list:Aspenz's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +3 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow