Still Trying to Convince Myself on RAW

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Photos thread
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,677Gear list
Like?
A challenge:)
In reply to JohnBee, Jul 1, 2013

JohnBee wrote:

I don't mean to argue or give you a hard time, but... I just wanted to out out there that the posted JPG can be made to look every bit as good as the RAW conversion samples in this particular case.

PS. I have nothing against RAW files myself as this is what I shoot exclusively, though I think alot of people tend to overlook the adjustment lattitude that exists in OOC JPG these days. ie, the rule of thumb with JPG's is that if you haven't clipped a channel that it will likely be okay in terms of adjustments.

For me at least, a good Jpeg version of this would be time consuming to do, or at the very least difficult, if the final image was a more conservation portrait.  Considering that I consider shooting Jpeg as a time SAVING proposition, that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

The reason I showed my particular recent example is that from RAW, the conversion requires a few easy slider adjustments in ACR and its 95% of the way there.  While it is true that most of the critical tones still exist in the ‘Jpeg’ face, they are so skewed that it is very difficult to make it look like the second ‘RAW’ version…or, I suspect, anything decent for that mater.

You are not being argumentative at all.   I tried working on the Jpeg and gave up in Jpeg frustration.  My next step would have been adjusting the three individual channels in curves (or otherwise) and I decided that maybe I should let someone else do the heavy lifting.

But maybe I’m missing something obvious.  Be my guest and grab the Jpeg example, adjust and repost.  I’d be curious what you come up with and how you did it.  It would make a good challenge and one I often fall sucker to:)   I THINK it might be possible, maybe even probable, but not for the average photographer.

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow