composition; post processing; or best gear?

Started Jul 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ldrider
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
composition; post processing; or best gear?
Jul 1, 2013

When others look at your photos, do they say Wow, because of your wonderful composition, the post processing, or because your gear produces well focused, sharp images across the entire frame?

I realize that a great photo has all three attributes, but which attribute is most important and if done right, can offset mediocre performance of the other attributes.

Lets say you have the best equipment, and you take a very sharp in focus image, but in PP you use too much saturation and contrast and lose both highlights and shadows, and you fail to have an interesting or defined subject. Will others say Wow to your very sharp in focus image?

What if you capture the pure essence of your subject, but the image is not really sharp and the contrast and saturation are flat. Will others say Wow to the composition that captured the essence of the subject?

I hope you see where I'm going with my question.

I often go on shoots with a local photo club. There are often people who are moving up from a P&S to a interchangeable lens system. These folks seem to be struggling with selecting the "right" iso, A, S, EV,etc.

My advice has been to put the camera on auto, and concentrate on composition, and then go home to learn PP. I feel that after those skills are mastered they will be better prepared to unlock all the different camera settings.

Which of the three attributes do you feel make others say Wow to your photos?

ldrider's gear list:ldrider's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow