7D Vertical Banding - Is there a firmware or software fix?

Started Jul 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tvstaff
Contributing MemberPosts: 921Gear list
Like?
7D Vertical Banding - Is there a firmware or software fix?
Jul 1, 2013

Here is an example of having to keep the image darker than I like to prevent vertical banding with the 7D. The areas involved are many and the PP time to make this work would be extensive. I'm hoping that some have had success with the same vertical banding issues with the 7D in PS or LR. The black belt, shoes and under arm areas of the red shirt offer the most banding when pushed. Getting the entire frame to keep continuity and deal with the banding is of interest to me. The shots are ETTR, 100 ISO, RAW, 70-200 2.8 USM IS II

I'm wondering if anyone who has a 7D and works with high contrast shots where shadows and blacks come into play have had success with software to mask these issues.

Using standard "Shadow" , "Exposure" , "White" , "Black" , "Contrast" , "Clarity" , "Highlights" & "Dark" options and combinations in Photoshop and Lightroom I find vertical banding a challenge.

I find myself having to under-expose entire shots in PP to keep continuity in LR or PS. Again.... this is 90% with very high contrast shots requiring a great deal of dynamic range with shadows and blacks. Sun, Water and Blacks when trying to work with flesh tones is tough.

Here the blue shorts were very time consuming with vertical banding. I WANTED the shot dark to show the light falling the way it is but I wanted to up colors in many areas and could not because of vertical banding.

Any advice with shooting or PP are welcome here to help with vertical banding specific to the 7D. Please note I have this issue even with ETTR, using greay cards for balance and colorchekers as well as shooting in AV, TV or M. I googled "7D Vertical Banding" and read almost everything and still can't find an answer that works in these high contract, high dynamic range shots with a lot of blacks and shadows.

Thank you!

TVSTAFF

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +13 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow