Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
RJPeter
Regular MemberPosts: 325Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+
In reply to wazu, Jul 1, 2013

wazu wrote:

I have been seriously thinking about the 400DO since I own the 70-300DO and am pleased with the performance. Trouble is they are just too expensive new, and rare to find used. Especiallly ones that were not used professionaly.

About 6 years ago I bit the bullet and bought a 400 DO f4. Most of the time I now use it with a 1.4x TC on a 7D for bird photos. Where possible I use it on a monopod, but it is very usable handheld. New this combo will be about $7,500. (I don't think I've seen this lens 2nd hand.) Looking back the results for me justify the price, as it has helped me produce a book which has been selling well.

Before dismissing this on price, think about what often happens when someone buys something cheaper such as the Sigma 150-500 mm. Many users grow out of this gear, then decide on something costing much more. Although spread over a longer term the total cost becomes very high, often with less consistent results.

-- hide signature --
 RJPeter's gear list:RJPeter's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Samsung NX20 Nikon D7100 +41 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow