Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,457
Like?
Re: No Convincing Required
In reply to gardenersassistant, Jul 1, 2013

gardenersassistant wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Renato1 wrote:

Is this any help to you in your search for something testable? It involves a very different type of camera of course, and much lower captured image quality than you are used to, but the example does address the specific issue you raise here, and another one to do with retaining detail at higher ISOs. (You have access to the originals, RAW and JPEG, from that link, so you can test it out for yourself.)

If you are not used to dealing with low quality outputs from P&S type cameras, this post may not mean much to you, but it does show how RAW (together with some careful post processing) lets me produce image quality that satisfies my needs using higher ISOs than most people think practical with low quality small-sensor images.

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned, in case you are unfamiliar with the technicalities of using a small sensor camera, that the f/8 you will see in these examples is the smallest aperture available on the camera concerned, and was used to provide the maximum depth of focus. As with smallest apertures such as f/22 or f/32 on larger sensor cameras, f/8 on a small sensor camera causes considerable loss of definition/detail because of diffraction. So, as well as suffering from loss of detail from the (for this type of camera) high ISOs, these images suffer from loss of detail from diffraction.

Some excellent examples - thanks! And, as I said, I have tried the recovering blown highlights for myself, and it works! Here is a RAW + JPG frame from my band shoot, in which they were both blown out in the highlights, but I could actually recover the detail in the RAW one but not the JPG. It is obvious which is which below, so I won't label them:

As you can see, the top one was the RAW corrected for exposure, and the bottom one was all I could do with the JPG file. I will keep working on it. Oh- and yes, I was also able to recover some black detail by boosting the "Black" level in the ACR.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow