Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
tjwaggoner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+
In reply to plautoq, Jul 1, 2013

plautoq wrote:

What are your thoughts on getting to the 500mm range ? Canon IS 100-400, Sigma OS 150-500mm, Canon IS 300mm with 1.4 extender (close enough), Canon non-IS 400 with 1.4 extender or other alternatives ? What is your experience so far if you own any (or all) of those lenses ? I saw a lot of comments, but it seems like there is no clear winner. Of course, north of 10K is a no brainer with all available options. Maybe you can share your experiences with cropping as well to reach the same equivalent magnification.

Cheers.

Have you thought about the Panasonic fz200? 600mm equiv constant 2.8.

If you're not using it for super demanding work and use it within its limits at lower iso its a pretty nice camera. I picked up a nice used one for $399.  Take the leftover thousands of $$ and take some trips to nice places to use it

-- hide signature --

Constructive Criticism is always welcome, however please understand that I am not a pixel peeper.

tjwaggoner's gear list:tjwaggoner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EOS 100D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow