How satisfied are you with your E-M5?

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Questions thread
SonyForNow
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
Re: How satisfied are you with your E-M5?
In reply to apennh, Jul 1, 2013

I went from Sony A33 (about the smallest DSLR) to OMD EM-5 and as Trapper John said it's much flatter, lighter and smaller with 14-42mm lens than realized in photos. I barely notice it over my shoulder vs the A33 even though a few ounces difference wouldn't suggest. Also the Panasonic 14-175mm lens and close up filters fits in a small fanny pak vs the Minolta 100-300mm APO lens I used with the Sony needed a larger one or stuffed into the smaller one.

As for getting wet the 14-42 lens isn't weathered sealed but has gotten probably 10-20 drops on it twice. No issues. If you are going to stand in the rain with it then 12-50mm is better choice, but if going for cover then 14-42 should be ok.

The jpegs out of camera are much better than the Sony jpegs. I rarely shoot raw and post process. The AF on OMD is fast, but in lower light needs more contrast to lock on than the Sony. I'm so used to if a camera first doesn't focus then finding contrast then recompose, so not really bothersome to me.

Recommended - a spare battery (one isn't enough for one day(two spares if you shoot a lot)) and another or two 32GB memory cards. Yes you can delete in camera, but easier to put in another card. May not be enough for 6 weeks but a good start.

SonyForNow's gear list:SonyForNow's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow