I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system? Locked

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
GlennAA11
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Re: I'm debating: Micro Four Thirds or Nikon 1 system?
In reply to howardfuhrman, Jul 1, 2013

I think there are several threads on this subject here.

I have a Nikon V1.

I recently got an OM-D.

For me the biggest difference is the lenses. Few available N1 lenses, and the ones that are out have a very cheap feel to them. I've had a lot of trouble with the 10-30mm kit lens. Sent it back for repair, they claimed it was fixed but it's still not. Basically any pressure on the lens turns the camera on because of the stupid mechanism they put in the lens that turns the camera on if you twist the lens barrel. Why they thought that was preferable to pushing the power button is beyond me. Sure you can use the FT-1 to put your other Nikkor lenses on you N1 camera, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a small system.

For m43 there is a fairly robust collection of lenses. Some are better build quality than others, but they are all better than the N1 lenses I have. There are some quite decent lenses for m43 that are not expensive. I have the Oly 40-150mm R that performs quite well. Was only $99 for a while but is now back in the $200 range. I don't feel like I really overpaid for the lenses I have including the Panny 25 1.4 and the Oly 60mm macro.

You can take perfectly great photos with the N1 system just like you can with most any system if you know what you're doing. The video modes are interesting too in a gimmicky way. But I think m43 has a substantial build quality advantage at this point.

GlennAA11's gear list:GlennAA11's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 +17 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow