Still Trying to Convince Myself on RAW

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Photos thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,338Gear list
Like?
Re: Still Trying to Convince Myself on RAW
In reply to splashy, Jun 30, 2013

splashy wrote:

Question remains, will the endresult be better then the out of camera Jpeg??

Most of the times I really doubt that.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I can tell you that if it is true then most of the time the people doing the post processing are bad at doing it.

JPG in camera is relying on Sony engineers to provide compression to the RAW file that will be applied to all of your images. Sony engineers making the JPG settings cannot possible account for all of the nuances that photographers encounter. They merely try to find a happy medium and apply it across the board. That's really a poor artistic approach even if it's "good enough" for many users for most images. Even a halfway decent post processing by hand of a RAW file should match and exceed generic JPG settings. But, now we're to the point where we're back to your claim . . . and that's the realization that perhaps most people doing the post processing are just ignorant about doing post processing.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow