Getting to the 500mm range without spending $10K+

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,824Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 500mm f4.5
In reply to oldfartwitha5d, Jun 30, 2013

+1, with a couple of reservations. I owned the Sigma 500/4.5 for a year, before upgrading to the Canon 600 mkII. Great optics, for sure, but lack of IS became the deciding factor for me, in the end. Very annoying that such a small-ish and light-ish lens still was so hard to use hand-held, mostly due to lack of IS.

Also, if you plan on using 1.4x TCs with it, note that it will only work with a couple of 3rd party teleconverters. I found a Tamron 1.4x that worked OK, in the end. Canon TCs, or even Sigma's own TC will not give you AF, even on a 1D-series body, which otherwise focuses fine up to f8.

Here is a gallery of test-shots I made with the Sigma 500/4.5, with an without the Tamron 1.4x TC.

http://eyvindness.zenfolio.com/sigma500/h40844130#h40844130

garyknrd wrote:

I am amazed at the people who do not recommend Sigma 500mm F4.5 lens. I own it in Pentax mount and the lens is deadly sharp and very easy to handle. In Canon mount you get HSM, focus limiter. It will be tripod mount but still light and easy to handle. Used wow. A steal for sure. I owne the Canon 300 and will pick the Sigma over it and T.C.'s any day. I even find myself using it instead of the Canon 500. It is that good and that easy to handle.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

-- hide signature --

Pro photographers turn off IS and use monopods or tripods

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow