Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
realgeek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137
Like?
Re: Said slightly differently ...
In reply to OldClicker, 10 months ago

OldClicker wrote:

realgeek wrote:

To wrap up: there is no argument that JPEGs are better than RAW. The only argument is that they are more convenient and good enough. Maybe that's good enough for you. But it shouldn't be.

Very well said except for the very last sentence - that is not your call.

I didn't mean to suggest it was my "call" -- just my advice.  He asked to be convinced!

IMHO, RAW is the inevitable progression for ALMOST everyone.  At first, of course you will shoot JPEG.  By the time you're seriously wondering whether you should shoot RAW, you probably should.  And once you realize it can be just as easy to process RAWs as JPEGs, you probably will.

There will be a few exceptions: one example is people who need images immediately, like professional sports photographers.  Another example would be be people who really dislike post-processing. I'm sure there are others out there, as well.

If you deliberately choose to stick with JPEG, then good for you!  Of course you have the right to do whatever you want!  But for those who are asking for advice, I think the answer is clear: choose RAW as soon as feasibly possible.  Again, IMHO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow