ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doctor Chris
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Whirring noise P7100
10 months ago

Hi all,

Sorry to join this forum with a question but I’d be grateful to hear if any of you have had similar experiences to me with your P7100.

There is a constant whirring noise that appears to emanate from the lens area. I thought that it might be the VR function, but the noise is present whether or not VR is switched on. I’ve played around and have observed the following:

VR switched OFF when powering up: noise present but ceases when I press the Main Menu button AND the SET UP tab is the active tab AND any one of the set up menu items is highlighted. Noise comes back when I press the Main Menu button again, or half press the shutter button.

It gets spooky: if I switch the Quick Menu Dial to My Menu, and the Vibration Reduction option (which I have set there) is displayed at that time, and then I press the Quick Menu Button twice the noise ceases and will not return until the camera is powered down and back up again! Note that by doing this I am not turning VR off, it is merely highlighted.

If VR is already set to ON when the camera powers up the noise will only cease if I turn VR off, or hit the Main Menu button in exactly the same manner as explained above. Once again, the noise returns when half-pressing the shutter.

The other thing I have noticed is that there is the occasional ‘electrical’ whistling from the LCD screen, although this tends only to happen whilst carrying out the above diagnostics.

I have spoken to Nikon who said that the noise was ‘normal’, but I don’t think the guy quite got the grasp of the exact circumstances under which the noise is present.

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks!

Chris

Nikon Coolpix P7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow