Still Trying to Convince Myself on RAW

Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721
Like?
I like your raw examples much better
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, 10 months ago

When I look at your first two photos, these are my observations:

1. In your raw photo, almost all color noise has been removed, pixel by pixel.
  2. In your JPG photo, the color noise has not been removed. Instead it has just been smeared around so the dark grey background has all kinds of color tones which are very visible even in the downscaled photo we see before clicking on it in your post.
  3. In your raw photo, the musicians have real faces. I can see their facial expressions and see which way they are looking. Yes, I have to "look through" a lot of grain, but that doesn't really bother me.
  4. In your JPG photo, the musicians' faces have strange splotches of smear, mixed with rather hard edges which don't exist in a human's face. So those edges are probably false detail. Overall, I don't see faces, only strange masks.

Item 1 and 2 above are actually my main reason for shooting raw. Item 3 and 4 are only visible to pixel peepers, but the bad color noise handling of most cameras is visible without any pixel peeping.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow