Still Trying to Convince Myself on RAW

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Photos thread
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,756Gear list
Like?
If you're getting into the hobby, take a little time to learn raw processing
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Jun 30, 2013

raw is slightly more work, but it allows to so much more leeway with the image in post, more DR to pay with without image degradation. Consider the following jpeg, followed by edited version (shadows lifted,) followed by crop of edited version. View the crop at 'original size' and hit '+' :

Crop, view at 'original size' and '+' :

If I had taken that in raw, I would have been able to pull up the shadows (and reduce noise if desired) with very little image degradation. With the jpeg image, it doesn't look good any larger than 5x7 because of artifacts, pixilation and smearing.

Jpeg has it's uses, and the jpeg engines are very good these days, but I think everyone should shoot raw or 'raw + jpeg'. 'raw + jpeg' is a good compromise if you like the ease of jpegs - you can always delete the raws later if you don't want to work on them further.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow