Nikon Mid Range Zoom for Landscapes on a D800

Started Jun 30, 2013 | Questions thread
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,638
Like?
Re: Nikon Mid Range Zoom for Landscapes on a D800
In reply to Kevin O'Neil, Jun 30, 2013

Kevin O'Neil wrote:

If cost is the issue, have you considered the Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 AFD? Very sharp lens and perfect as a landscape lens. You don't need VR or AF-s for shooting landscapes. And add a 20mm f/2.8 AFD lens for the wider aspect, and with both you are still paying less than half of what a new 24-70 would cost. While these older lenses do not have the newer lens coatings, you'd be hard pressed in most landscape situations to really notice, assuming you are not shooting into the sun.

-- hide signature --

Kevin O'Neil
www.Eastern-Light.com (Under Re-Construction)

I like this thinking. I strongly suspect the 18-35g is going to do very well while making a lot of sense as a landscape solution (compared to a mid-range zoom lens). So I’d personally swap it and add the rather good 50/1.8g for the longer range should the landscape needs outweigh the midrange ones - on budget.

If the needs were more universal (plus the landscape), I’d want to be flexible more in the midrange and trade off the wide angle for more coverage. So there are other options for a limited budget depending on one's priority to consider here - 18-24mm holds totally different possibilities and perspectives vs the midrange flexibility and coverage.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow